Based on interviews in global enterprises and startups, surveys, and participant observation research, this book focuses on how enterprises are actually building blockchain applications for business TODAY. This comprehensive guide is written for leaders, managers, business students, and other inquisitive people who want to understand how enterprises can use blockchains to transact directly with trading partners; automatically execute business agreements; instantly track and trace assets through a supply chain; and settle transactions quickly and cheaply on a secure platform.
While readers will learn enough about the underlying technology to speak intelligently to blockchain experts, the guide focuses on the business challenges that must be overcome to realize the promised business value. The author presents a three-phased framework and action principles for making blockchains for business real. Most imperatively, global enterprises will need to shift their mindsets when moving from their current command-and-control centralized business applications to the shared governance models of distributed blockchain applications.
Pub. Date: 25th June 2018
Publisher: SB Publishing
Authors: Mary C Lacity
Format: Paperback with flaps
Size: 245mm x 190mm x 24mm
Page extent: 288pp
Cover Design: Nick Sample (www.nicksample.com)
RRP: £22.50 UK / $30.00 US / €25.00 EUR
Sales & Distribution: SB Publishing
KEY SELLING POINTS
- The author spent a year as visiting scholar at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) where she led a research project to investigate how enterprises were exploring blockchains for business.
- Provides an overview of the blockchain landscape including the investments, the size of markets, major players and the global reach.
- Contains real-world blockchain use cases across different industries.
- Helps business leaders and students to quickly climb the technical learning curve so they can focus on business uses.
- Identifies the major technical and business challenges and emerging solutions.
- Identifies the six mindshifts traditional enterprises need to embrace if they are to disrupt their existing business models
- Provides a three-phased framework and 16 action principles for making enterprise blockchains real.
Dr Mary C. Lacity
(Click '+' to read author's biography)
Dr. Mary C. Lacity is Walton Professor of Information Systems and Director of the Blockchain Center of Excellence in the Sam M. Walton College of Business at The University of Arkansas. She was previously Curators’ Distinguished Professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis. She has held visiting positions at MIT, the London School of Economics, Washington University, and Oxford University. She is a Certified Outsourcing Professional ®, Industry Advisor for Symphony Ventures, and Senior Editor for MIS Quarterly Executive.
Mary's recent research focuses on improving business services using Robotic Process Automation (RPA), Cognitive Automation (CA), and Blockchain technologies. She has conducted case studies and surveys of hundreds of organizations on their adoption journeys, has given keynote speeches and executive seminars worldwide, and has served as an expert witness for the US Congress.
Mary was inducted into the IAOP’s Outsourcing Hall of Fame in 2014 - one of only three academics to ever be inducted. She was the recipient of the 2008 'Gateway to Innovation Award' sponsored by the IT Coalition, Society for Information Management, and St. Louis RCGA. She has published 28 books, most recently, A Manager’s Guide to Blockchains for Business (https://sbpublishing.org/blockchain.html), SB Publishing, UK. Mary's publications have appeared in the Harvard Business Review, Sloan Management Review, MIS Quarterly, MIS Quarterly Executive, IEEE Computer, Communications of the ACM, and many other academic and practitioner outlets.Email: email@example.com